About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mama with a passion for writing and talking to fascinating people. I live in a one horse town with a Cowboy and my son. Thank Lord for cyberspace! I lived a colourful life in Sydney for a number of years. Working in advertising and journalism for FPC and the Sydney Morning Herald. During my time in Sydney I competed in a Dragon Boat race, choreographed a dragshow, used the Share Accomodation advertisements as a way to meet men and was told by Noiseworks frontrunner Jon Stevens that I was a bitch! Then came the decision to move back to country for 3 months to help out my Father with newspaper business while he was having treatment. Convinced I was a city girl I was caught by surprise when I fell in love with a farmer (and no, he didn't want a wife... still doesn't it seems!) convinced him that we needed to see the world, popped off to Vietnam to teach english in Saigon - before realising that the "food" in Nam didn't agree with me... turned out to be Monte - my son who is now with the Cowboy and I back in country NSW! I am in a wonderful stage of my life where I am focusing on the things that really make me tick. Including writing these chronicles.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Three Columnists emailed - three replies!




Top - Helen Brown, middle - Wil Anderson, bottom Mia Freedman

I want to be a columnist and an author. So I emailed three that I admire. They all wrote back to me. A grand sign from the universe is it not?
Thank-you to three people I admire. Wil Anderson; Mia Freedman and Helen Brown.
Their advice to little old me? Wil - well actually he advised me to contact Mia, but it was nice of him to reply, basically he said he has never had to chase columnist gigs they have just come to him (perhaps I could come back as Wil next life?)
Mia advised blogging away, networking away and commenting away on other sites. Yes 'Mam I have been doing so. Thank-you. She suggested blogging can leverage one into published work in the press etc... While Helen - she advised that some of the best writing happens when you 'cut open a vein', so to speak.....

Taking it all onboard. So excited to be on my journey.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharnia! Thanks for reading my blog and for commenting. So excited to keep up wit your writing. I just subscribed. And yes, I would be thrilled to be a New Yorker that you interview for your blog. My email is christa.avampato@gmail.com.

    Looking forward to the conversation!

    -Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christa - see you on the email.

    ReplyDelete

Lovin' your thoughts leave them here or email me direct.
Oh and Hi!