About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mama with a passion for writing and talking to fascinating people. I live in a one horse town with a Cowboy and my son. Thank Lord for cyberspace! I lived a colourful life in Sydney for a number of years. Working in advertising and journalism for FPC and the Sydney Morning Herald. During my time in Sydney I competed in a Dragon Boat race, choreographed a dragshow, used the Share Accomodation advertisements as a way to meet men and was told by Noiseworks frontrunner Jon Stevens that I was a bitch! Then came the decision to move back to country for 3 months to help out my Father with newspaper business while he was having treatment. Convinced I was a city girl I was caught by surprise when I fell in love with a farmer (and no, he didn't want a wife... still doesn't it seems!) convinced him that we needed to see the world, popped off to Vietnam to teach english in Saigon - before realising that the "food" in Nam didn't agree with me... turned out to be Monte - my son who is now with the Cowboy and I back in country NSW! I am in a wonderful stage of my life where I am focusing on the things that really make me tick. Including writing these chronicles.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Look out Melbourne!



The Cowboy and I are packing our sausage rolls (cos its a long way to the shop eh Karls) and going to ACDC Concert in Melbourne in Feb. EEEK -


(disclaimer - I am a more Crowded House kinda gal - this is a Cowboy event)

I am hoping that the concert though will be good fun, and more than this I look forward to experiencing Cowboy's first live concert with him

We will be able to keep our colourful clothes at home, because apparantly - we'll be back in black.

We are hoping to stay in Melbs for a couple of days and do some other things more to my liking too...., this is the first time leaving Monte behind - so feeling a little anxious about it.

So it will probably only be a couple of days!!

Alex from Woah Mama sent me some good ideas for things to do in Melbourne.

Hells Bells ! there are some good ideas there, Thanks Alex - and I just wondered if anyone else had some good ideas for a couple who have just come through 1 year of parenting have a couple of days, a low budget and want to have a romantic, relaxed time in the great city?

I was thinking along the lines of dayspas and reiki treatments...

nothing too adventurous - low key, not high voltage rock'n' roll if you get my drift..

I am thinking or picnics and walks... if the weather is nice - don't want to be thunderstruck.....

movies in lovely cinemas, beautiful restaurants...

 we want to stick around the city.....as we don't have enough time to hop around much.

Any lovely, relaxing, budgety ways to spend a couple of days in Melbourne's CBD would be gratefully received.

Restaurant recommendations in the City?

Good movie?

Anything for us OHT dwellers to make the most of our time in Melbourne would be appreciated.

I don't want to be shook all night long, low key guys, low key... hahahaha

Pic from here

8 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm soooo jealous, I love Melbourne!!! We used to visit there a bit, had a weekend in St Kilda recently with GG (see blog archives), but am sadly lacking in recommendations! We tend to wander around and just sort of happen upon great places! Lygon St definitely for dinner, just find a restaurant that looks good! For our anniversary once we went to Grossi Florentino (v. fancy, but so fricken dark, sorry "ambient" they actually give you a flashlight to help read your menu!!), but the more low key bar and grill downstairs looked awesome, we want to go back there next time we're in town. My favourite thing to do in Melbourne is get lost in the little back laneways and hidden alcoves, pretty much any cafe you stop at will have great coffee, and the shopping is pretty good in town, or down Chapel St. I will email my gf in Melbourne and see if she has any recommendations :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it! It's certainly a long way to shop.. even more so in sweltering heat with a hangover - but that's another story (actually it's the story of my life!).

    Melbs is my home town! Lots of great things to do... unfortunately, they involve lots of overindulgence. Hardware Lane - turn left (up the hill) into Lonsdale at Elizabeth (Michaels - my old work is on the corner) lots of fab places to eat there!

    Go check out Brunswick St (my old hangout) if you get the time... Bar Open was my place - out the back by the bonfire had my name written all over it. Lots of good cheap food, good bars and interesting people.

    St Kilda is also worth a look in... as is the NGV and Lygon St. Oh so much you could do... so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a roof top cinema somewhere in the city but I'm just not sure where exactly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, you have fun now. (PS Noice puns girl). And as for recommendations, I lived in Geelong for three years and I can recommend you DON'T go there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh my town!
    Graves Street, or is it Degraves street??, you must go there and check out the cafes, music and atmosphere, it is all truely wonderful!(its just off Royal Arcade i think, ask and you shall find!)
    Have a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roof top cinema is also rooftop bar http://www.rooftopcinema.com.au/about-us
    My favourite melbourne thing is the bars in St Kilda
    The Eureka tower glass platform looks awesome- my 8 year old neice has ventured out and loves it- I'm nowhere near gutsy enough http://www.walkingmelbourne.com/building671_eureka-tower.html
    My daughter leaves for Melbourne tomorrow and has VIP tix to the Big Day Out!
    Lucky you Sharni- I heart Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what fun, have also spent years in Melbourne but was too long ago for me to remember anything too specific. We used to spend a lot of time on Sunday mornings at St Kilda. The recommendations to explore the arcades and laneways is good too. Have fun and don't get to "Thunderstruck"

    ReplyDelete

Lovin' your thoughts leave them here or email me direct.
Oh and Hi!