About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mama with a passion for writing and talking to fascinating people. I live in a one horse town with a Cowboy and my son. Thank Lord for cyberspace! I lived a colourful life in Sydney for a number of years. Working in advertising and journalism for FPC and the Sydney Morning Herald. During my time in Sydney I competed in a Dragon Boat race, choreographed a dragshow, used the Share Accomodation advertisements as a way to meet men and was told by Noiseworks frontrunner Jon Stevens that I was a bitch! Then came the decision to move back to country for 3 months to help out my Father with newspaper business while he was having treatment. Convinced I was a city girl I was caught by surprise when I fell in love with a farmer (and no, he didn't want a wife... still doesn't it seems!) convinced him that we needed to see the world, popped off to Vietnam to teach english in Saigon - before realising that the "food" in Nam didn't agree with me... turned out to be Monte - my son who is now with the Cowboy and I back in country NSW! I am in a wonderful stage of my life where I am focusing on the things that really make me tick. Including writing these chronicles.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ten Point Weekend

Better do this weekly thing, I promised it would be weekly so have to at least back up once.


Round of applause for DVDs I'll never watch and other unfinished things


1. The lawn has released a filmclip which is a remake of "Welcome to the Jungle" (test to see if Cowboy reads my posts.... he promised to mow it)
2. We ate a sheep he killed. It was lovely
3. We got the movie "Seven Pounds" out for the second time. I didn't watch it again as fell asleep.
4. Shit, I still have the dvd in the car.
5. The little boy has started clapping. He clapped all weekend. Claps when he is fed, claps when he wakes up, even claps for me in the shower. I have never felt so ....... worthy of a round of applause. Who says being a Mama is a thankless job. Round of applause!
6. Weekends really aren't that exciting but in small town with limited friends
7. But I have been talking to lots of bloggers from around the world and am concentrating on writing
8. We went for coffee and shepherds pie at a cafe in town. They were mopping the floors around us. Made us feel very welcome and relaxed.
9. I got stressed out wondering if our little boy will become one of those greedy kids at christmas who wants more, more, more. This worries me. Is it mean for us not to have gift giving Christmas' I don't want to have a family that supports consumerism. Maybe we can give gifts but you have to make them or something. I worry about the world that my boy is born into - what has this to do with the weekend? I had a heated discussion with the Cowboy about my million anxieties about the new person we have in the world
10. Cowboy let me sleep in and took the boy away on Sunday. Sleeping in is like heaven on a stick when I can get it. Heaven on a stick

Highlight: Sleeping in
Lowlight: Stressing out about this evil world of consumerism that our boy has been born into! (what a normal lowlight for one's weekend haha)

Dare I ask about yours? Or will I be graced with a big fat empty comment box again?
Oh well, lucky I am thick skinned!

2 comments:

  1. Here you go chook:

    1. I got the floors all clean as I had the rare opportunity of time without little feet running around.

    2. Wishing I spent this time doing something I enjoyed though!

    3. Had limited sleep as the little one has teeth coming - I assume that is what is keeping her up all night screaming?

    4. Was terribly cold and windy - was cooped up inside with the little one getting very bored with me.

    5. Had a lovely roast lunch on Sunday which I neither cooked nor cleaned after :)

    6. Enjoyed a few ales on Friday night and didn't get a hangover in the morning.

    7. Relaxed in a lovely warm spa with my daughter on Sunday night.

    8. Managed to spare myself from football talk on GF weekend.

    9. Got to read a few stories and have a good laugh at Sharni's column. Very funny and inspiring stuff my friend :)

    10. Worried about how to get my daughter back to sleep in her own bed after she wakes up crying.
    It's just easier to put her in with me. But she is getting used to this I think! Oh well, at least she wants to sleep in my bed...

    HIGHLIGHT: Spa with my baby girl
    LOWLIGHT: Terrible weather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOOOO with you on the presents thing! My daughter's first birthdya is right before Christmas (16th) and we have been prepping people with our rules about presents.
    1. Nothing that is bigger than a shoebox
    2. Nothing with batteries.

    As the only grandchild for both mine and my husband's parents and the only niece for our siblings, and the only baby of all of our friends, she has a tendency to be showered with gifts on regular days, let alone birthdays and christmas. I have several good reasons for being against this, not just that I am a 'meanie' as I have been accused of being.

    1. I do not want a house that is furnished with giant plastic monstrosities like a pink kitchenette, or a purple boa covered riding toy. These things become the focal point in your house and you lose all sense of normality, decor, etc
    2. I do not want my daughter to think that she 'needs' a billion toys to choose from in order to be entertained. At this point she is ecstatic to see her green silicone baking funnel (from my set) on a string and wave it around. I don't want her imagination and creativity to be squashed by having all sorts of hideous (well-meant and generous though it may be) crap thrust at her.
    Do not feel guilty or stressed out about it if you can help it! I know how you feel, and I freak about it regularly as well. but if we just keep it simple for them, the rewards over time will make us feel just like that shower applause!!

    Also, Ella has not learned to clap yet! I have tried and tried! I can't wait for her to clap! She signs several signs, waves bye, LOVES to watch clapping, but won't clap. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Lovin' your thoughts leave them here or email me direct.
Oh and Hi!