About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mama with a passion for writing and talking to fascinating people. I live in a one horse town with a Cowboy and my son. Thank Lord for cyberspace! I lived a colourful life in Sydney for a number of years. Working in advertising and journalism for FPC and the Sydney Morning Herald. During my time in Sydney I competed in a Dragon Boat race, choreographed a dragshow, used the Share Accomodation advertisements as a way to meet men and was told by Noiseworks frontrunner Jon Stevens that I was a bitch! Then came the decision to move back to country for 3 months to help out my Father with newspaper business while he was having treatment. Convinced I was a city girl I was caught by surprise when I fell in love with a farmer (and no, he didn't want a wife... still doesn't it seems!) convinced him that we needed to see the world, popped off to Vietnam to teach english in Saigon - before realising that the "food" in Nam didn't agree with me... turned out to be Monte - my son who is now with the Cowboy and I back in country NSW! I am in a wonderful stage of my life where I am focusing on the things that really make me tick. Including writing these chronicles.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Blog This Challenge : My Unique Talent



Wow this is my 200th post!

To celebrate I am going to enter my first Blog This challenge

For the uninitiated Blog This is an Australian blogging network and they have regular blogging challenges - very supportive and fun place to visit....

the challenge is:

to reveal a secret talent or something people might not know about you...

Mine is (ahem... was) .... my ability to find unique ways to meet men.... and that it became a Cover Story in Radar in Sydney Morning Herald (cover pictured )

I'll explain...


When I was single and lived in Sydney I worked in the world of advertising but always wanted to be a journalist.

I was never sure how to break through the advertising world through to journalism.

The two seemed to be at odds with each other.

The opportunity beckoned at a most unsuspecting moment.

One of my besties asked me to accompany him on his search for shared accommodation.

I helped him scour the houses of inner Sydney abodes to suss out the vibe and the flatmate potential within.

After we left an apartment, and analysed the potential flattie we had just met in detail (from the aromas in the kitchen to the books on his coffee table) - a light bulb appeared before me, just like in the cartoons.

I stopped dead in my tracks.

My friend looked at me as though I was mad - "What are you doing?"

"I've got it!" I said

"Got what?"

" I have the perfect idea to meet a man in Sydney!"

" I am going to answer the share accommodation ads! How better to to do it? "

"I will be able to cut to the chase, see how the man REALLY lives - what his tastes are like, how he keeps the house - if you answer the ads you save yourself the steps of meeting him at a bar and thinking he is wonderful only to go home and find he has a bedroom covered in teddy bears or the like..."

This was one of those moments where I felt completely sure of my idea.

Convinced, I approached one of the Editors at the Sydney Morning Herald and told him my idea.

He loved it!

He also organised for someone to come along with me and film it (embarrassing times a thousand, but fun )

So then... I just had to go out and actually do it!

It was great fun -- felt a bit naughty though.

Certainly got some controverisal comments on the SMH website

To me this is my greatest 'career' achievement to date - and oh so much fun - if you have a read you will feel the spookiness of it all as at the I make mention of an 'elusive Cowboy'

Those who know my blog (or who don't can get the jist in the above: about me bit) will know I am now very happily in love with a Cowboy - who thankfully I met through more honourable means.

You can read the story here (just checked and link to the video doesn't work - leads to something else, oh well - kind've good in a way - was pretty embarrassing!! )

My next unique effort of meeting men was to give Sydney the flick and move out to the sticks... and there, without even having to scour the newspaper of the one-horse town for potential flatmates I met him.
In the good old fashioned way.
At the pub.


Radar pic taken from here


12 comments:

  1. wow. some of their comments to you were a bit harsh.

    i think it would have been awesomely fun to do that!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! Many harsh comments, it was all in fun - amazed me how seriously some people took it - luckily I didn't let them get to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your 200th Sharni! Keep 'em coming.xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do u know I read a novel about this a few weeks back, but in New York.

    Alls fair in Love and war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those moments when you just stop dead in your tracks for a beat or two and think I just came up with a brilliant beyond brilliant plan. Often they are brilliance but perhaps fleeting glimpses of genius?

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is true - i think we don't always listen to those flashes either and I think we should trust them more

    ReplyDelete
  7. keep being brilliant! Its lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are charming in all the right ways. Clever, too. I applaud your adventurous spirit! And congratulations on your 200th post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I remember this article, brilliant! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good thinking outside the square! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. agree with karls. i feel like i've read so much of the same stuff and love when something different comes along. refreshing and well written.

    but the haters! argh. why are people so nasty sometimes??

    ReplyDelete
  12. i was amazed by the haters actually! But it didn't bother me - made me laugh that I singlehandedly created such a drama hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Lovin' your thoughts leave them here or email me direct.
Oh and Hi!