About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mama with a passion for writing and talking to fascinating people. I live in a one horse town with a Cowboy and my son. Thank Lord for cyberspace! I lived a colourful life in Sydney for a number of years. Working in advertising and journalism for FPC and the Sydney Morning Herald. During my time in Sydney I competed in a Dragon Boat race, choreographed a dragshow, used the Share Accomodation advertisements as a way to meet men and was told by Noiseworks frontrunner Jon Stevens that I was a bitch! Then came the decision to move back to country for 3 months to help out my Father with newspaper business while he was having treatment. Convinced I was a city girl I was caught by surprise when I fell in love with a farmer (and no, he didn't want a wife... still doesn't it seems!) convinced him that we needed to see the world, popped off to Vietnam to teach english in Saigon - before realising that the "food" in Nam didn't agree with me... turned out to be Monte - my son who is now with the Cowboy and I back in country NSW! I am in a wonderful stage of my life where I am focusing on the things that really make me tick. Including writing these chronicles.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Horsey Commitments

Further to my post where I asked you for challenges for me to write about in my one horse town I have some major horsing to complete. Thanks so much.

Complete on my to-do list (in between mothering my boy, being a desperate house de-facto, organising house renovations, getting little sleep and writing in this blog)

I commit to the following:

* Visiting the Hay Fish Shop to capture the infamous "crab sticks" that Nikki from Learning how to be me remembers as the major draw-card to this town.

They do still exist and I promise to try and capture them in all their glory in order to convert her back to the world of meat. haha just kidding Nikki - but as a way to stir some nostalgia.

Note - started chatting with this blogger only to discover an old boyfriend of hers was an old classmate of mine - and from my one-horse town the crabsticks were what stood out.

* Interviewing my Grandma (has to be in the top 10 oldest people here)
Heather from Heather Conroy's Verbal Report made some great suggestions including interviewing the oldest person in town. Now the oldest has cracked 100 but just as I and use poetic licence at PT - I have so here.
So - instead of finding the oldest person I am going to interview my Grandma.
She is 91 (next month) and has lived in this one horse town her whole life!!!!
She has an amazing relationship with my son and my goodness - her wisdom - her everything - I need to pick her brain!
Heather has inspired me to do this, inadvertently - and I will also capture some lovely photos of Grandma and my son (her great grandson) -- I have had this in the backburner forever - so cheers!

* Oh, the sewing part that Heather suggested.... it is interesting what comes up in me when challenged to learn to sew.
FEAR? I know that is odd, but you know how I said I had a fear of it at school (along with woodwork and metal work - and for that matter anything 'practical) well I still do!
I know it is irrational - but it is a real fear!
I think some time in my life I was berated for being 'hopeless' at anything to do with making stuff with my hands - and to this DAY - I have a fear of attempting for fear I will be humilated... fear enough to still believe I wouldn't be able to do it.
Did I mention the word fear?
GEEEZ didn't mean to write it that much!
I will keep the overuse of the word there for dramatic effect.
Wonder if there is a technical term for fear of learning to sew?
Perhaps it is NUTTER?!!

Give me some time on this - I might take on the challenge to disprove my long held belief that I am not very good at doing things of a practical nature.

* Streaking as suggested by Alex at WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH MAMA , I'm afraid will not be happening.

I would have to upgrade my blog to "ADULT CONTENT" and I'm afraid, although am getting into the PT - I am not ready to reveal the masterpiece that is my naked self to you all ;-)

BUT she did suggest asking 10 questions to random people from the one horse town and .... YES I will do this
Question suggestions anyone? Make them out there if you will.

* Finally, Finding Me sorry Finding, not sure what your real name is :-) suggested I hit the playgroups and go from there.
While this is a great and sensible suggestion - i have and I don't like the vibe of them for Monte... BUT agree I need to find social baby things that we can both get something out of - so have added this to the list

* Photography - suggested by Edwina from the hilarious Maisie and More
I'm on it.

So I'm a busy girl.

Who said living in a small country town was boring????

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! I'm excited to see the crabsticks lol.. lucky we don't have smellovision on our computers yet or it might just be enough to convert me back from the brink of veganism :D

    Looking forward to seeing the blog updates from the rest of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Lovin' your thoughts leave them here or email me direct.
Oh and Hi!