About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mama with a passion for writing and talking to fascinating people. I live in a one horse town with a Cowboy and my son. Thank Lord for cyberspace! I lived a colourful life in Sydney for a number of years. Working in advertising and journalism for FPC and the Sydney Morning Herald. During my time in Sydney I competed in a Dragon Boat race, choreographed a dragshow, used the Share Accomodation advertisements as a way to meet men and was told by Noiseworks frontrunner Jon Stevens that I was a bitch! Then came the decision to move back to country for 3 months to help out my Father with newspaper business while he was having treatment. Convinced I was a city girl I was caught by surprise when I fell in love with a farmer (and no, he didn't want a wife... still doesn't it seems!) convinced him that we needed to see the world, popped off to Vietnam to teach english in Saigon - before realising that the "food" in Nam didn't agree with me... turned out to be Monte - my son who is now with the Cowboy and I back in country NSW! I am in a wonderful stage of my life where I am focusing on the things that really make me tick. Including writing these chronicles.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Writing Meditation Course - Week One


As you know I have started an online Writing Mediation course through my Hawaii contact Adriana!
I love how small the world is with the internet!
If you didn't know about this course you can read about it here
This week I have had to do some pretty interesting, albeit intense assignments.
But I can tell you now... something a spiritual is a happenin'!!!!!
Not sure what - but I feel ..... different?
Let me elaborate.

The first assignment was to write non-stop for twenty minutes.
Basically letting the words flow onto the paper even if they were just ..' i don't have anything to say how long have I got?" kind've stuff.
Though I found this didn't happen with me.
I felt like a human tip truck and all the contents of my mind (which are always A LOT) were being tipped onto the page at an alarming rate!
Beneath all the jibber though I felt a couple of things happen:
1. Sense of calm later as I had cleared a lot of the mind clutter (eg: I should be doing the dishes instead of writing, I wonder if my clothes will dry, I don't want to go to training tonight)
This is a good thing, particularly for someone like me who dabbles on the anxious side frequently.
2. Ideas that had been lingering in the recesses of my mind popped out to say G'day- catching me off guard.
Things like "You should write a kids book, get Lucia to illustrate it - look at the poems you wrote when you were a kid"
When these things started coming out I was a bit: "Woah - hello? Are you there God, it's me Margaret?"
Then other ideas started coming out like:
Well actually I don't want to give away my entire game plan, but suffice it to say I feel I tapped into something.
Could this be the goldmine of my authentic self!!!
I had to trawl through the clutter for a bit to get to it.
Now, I swear - something has opened up - I am getting ideas and inspiration in the bath, in bed, while running...
Surely this cannot have all been achieved through this 20 minute writing exercise, could it?
If so, I heartily recommend you get onto Adriana!!!
The other exercise was to write for 20 about the present moment.
This exercise really brings you into the Now and makes you become really aware of it.
The smells, tastes, sounds that are happening around you.
Very focusing. Made me realise just how much of my life is spent lingering in yesteryear or worrying about tomorrow.
Meanwhile there is so much in the present moment. SUCH an important awareness particularly being a Mama.
I realised I spend a lot of time thinking things like "I need the Prince to go to sleep, why is he still awake?" and sometimes when thinking this I am missing moments like the fact that when I walk into his room his whole face starts beaming with happiness and instead of just soaking in the beauty of that, feeling anxious because he should be asleep.
Just this awareness is going to help alleviate some of this anxiety me-thinks.
In a nutshell - I am intrigued by things that are starting to stir from week one of my Writing Meditation course - and stuff is stirring!!! I am amazed!
To see if more zen things are going to happen as a result of this inspiring course... keep watching.

the pic up top is not mine i found it here - it just felt like something that matched how i was feeling




1 comment:

  1. This sounds very interesting. Looking forward to hearing the continuation!

    ReplyDelete

Lovin' your thoughts leave them here or email me direct.
Oh and Hi!