About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mama with a passion for writing and talking to fascinating people. I live in a one horse town with a Cowboy and my son. Thank Lord for cyberspace! I lived a colourful life in Sydney for a number of years. Working in advertising and journalism for FPC and the Sydney Morning Herald. During my time in Sydney I competed in a Dragon Boat race, choreographed a dragshow, used the Share Accomodation advertisements as a way to meet men and was told by Noiseworks frontrunner Jon Stevens that I was a bitch! Then came the decision to move back to country for 3 months to help out my Father with newspaper business while he was having treatment. Convinced I was a city girl I was caught by surprise when I fell in love with a farmer (and no, he didn't want a wife... still doesn't it seems!) convinced him that we needed to see the world, popped off to Vietnam to teach english in Saigon - before realising that the "food" in Nam didn't agree with me... turned out to be Monte - my son who is now with the Cowboy and I back in country NSW! I am in a wonderful stage of my life where I am focusing on the things that really make me tick. Including writing these chronicles.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Empowered by the Blogosphere

I received two Best Blog Awards  today one from Tony at the Artisan of Spirit!
Thanks Tony, WOW you are a spiritual, worldly AND a hairdresser. Hello!


Just kidding Cowboy!


It is nice to know I have a man reader, aside from Cowboy... and my Dad. haha (and some that came out of the woodwork lured by the Wil Anderson giveaway probably never to be seen again)  


and the second one from Aine at the Evolving Spirit - a very inspiring and knowledgable lady - I am honoured!! Thankyou!


Two in one day was enough for me to break some funky dance moves around the kitchen table!
You know my favourites are to the side of me so I am not going to give them any more awards, just yet. 


So I'd like to take this opportunity to talk about different kind of blogging that I have discovered.


This week I was curator on She Writes , which meant I had to look in the members list of blogs and review some of them to share.


There is quite a gathering of bloggers on there - 800 or so, so I suggest you get on board if this is indeed your thang!


I'd like to share with you one that I discovered from this list and what I wrote about it: 







photo from here 


 Afghan Women Writers Project

An amazing blog to discover!



The Afghan Women Writers project began as an idea during novelist Masha Hamilton’s trip to Afghanistan in November 2008.


 Her interest in the country sparked in the late 1990’s when she understood it was one of the worst places in the world to be a woman.

The first post I read on this blog “Escape from the Taliban” is incredibly stirring. 



It feels very important that the women of and from Afghanistan are given a voice and I think blogging is a sensational outlet for this. 


So, for this reason I think this blog is a very important one to read and to support.
You can also make a donation on the site to help Online Donations to the Afghan Women’s Writing Project will purchase laptop computers and Internet access for female Afghan writers

                                                                
****

 I was "introduced" to an amazing blogger and social media expert Laurel Papworth via an ex work colleague of mine recently.


While flicking through her website I became intrigued to read about the work she has done with women in Saudi Arabia.


She was invited over there to run workshops for Saudi Arabian women teaching them how to use social media.


The idea being similar to the Afghan Women's Writers Project, to help give these women who live in a patriarchal society - a voice.


I found this a fascinating read - check out her interview about her  experience here. 


Also thanks to Corinne for introducing me to My Marrakesh, some stunning imagery from Kabul in Afghanistan from an American lady living over there.


Some days I might sit down at the Chronicles and decide I am having a shit-house day, and I think to myself bugger it I am going to write a poem about PMS.


It is not until you see blogs such as these, that you take a step back and have a good hard think about the rubbish we sometimes rave on with!


Sure, some minor irritability that lasts 2-5 days can be annoying, and of course ,compleeeetely fascinating blogging material, but the women and websites I  have mentioned today have really inspired me.


They have really brought home to me that while blogging is indeed a great unclogger and social medium that can be used for rants about PMS - it can also be a liberating and powerful medium for so much more than that. 


Makes me love the blogosphere even more! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to Afghan Women's Writers Project. It gives me a bit of perspective when I stress about small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great links Sharni, thanks.

    Aine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent - more links! Off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sowing the seeds...love how you all inspire each other.

    ReplyDelete

Lovin' your thoughts leave them here or email me direct.
Oh and Hi!